home‎ > ‎

Lodge History

 

The First 25 Years

FORMATION OF THE LODGE.

The first meeting calling for the formation of a new Lodge was held in The Masonic Hall, Kittoch Street, East Kilbride on Thursday 17th February 1972 following an intimation in The East Kilbride News on the 10th February 1972. Fifty two brethen attended the meeting and it was unanimously agreed by those present to proceed to form a new Masonic Lodge in the town. There then followed a further fourteen meetings prior to the 5th October 1972 when the various matters appertaining to the formation of a Lodge were discussed and among other matters it was agreed that the meetings would be held in The Masonic Hall, Kittoch Street (owned by Lodge St. Andrew No. 524) and that the meeting nights would be the first and third Thursdays of the months September to May inclusive and that the name of the Lodge would be Kil Bryd. A charter was granted by The Grand Lodge of Scotland on the 3rd August 1972 with the number 1667.

There were 99 Founder Members of the Lodge, their names are recorded at the foot of this page.

1972-73. Thus on Thursday 5th October 1972 in The Ballerup Hall, East Kilbride Lodge Kil Bryd No. 1667 (Sponsored by Lodge St. Andrew No. 524 and Lodge Douglas No. 1557) was erected and consecrated by The Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East headed by The Provincial Grand Master Brother Ralph Denholm and Brother Alexander Brown, Past Master of Lodge Nitshill No. 1478 was installed as the first Right Worshipful Master. The First Office Bearers of the Lodge are recorded at the foot of this page. During his year in office 21 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the Fraternity 29 Initiates and 9 Affiliates. The Lodge held its first Burn's Supper on the 19th January 1973 an event which has been held every year since. The Lodge also took part in the Annual Joint Divine Service of the East Kilbride Lodges an event which continues to this day with each of the four Lodges in the town taking turns of hosting the event. A highlight of a very successful first year was the visit of a deputation from the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East headed by the Provincial Grand Master Brother Ralph Denholm on the 31st May 1973 who conferred the MM degree on five candidates. Brother Alex. went on to serve the Lodge as Office Bearer and Committee Member in the Provincial Grand Lodge for many years.

 1973-74. On the 6th October 1973 Brother David McMinn was installed as RWM by The Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason of Scotland Brother David Liddell Grainger. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 23 Initiates and 5 Affiliates. During his successful year the exchange visits between the Lodge and Thistle Lodge No. 62 Dumfries began and these visits have continued to the present day.It was also during this year that discussions took place with Lodge Douglas and The Royal Arch Lodge regarding the purchase and sharing of new Lodge premises. A charity ball run by the three Lodges in the town raised £200.00 which purchased five geriatric chairs for Hairmyres Hospital. The Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Brother David Liddell Grainger was made an Honorary Member of the Lodge and Brother Daniel Cowan a Founder Member and first Chaplain was presented with a Past Chaplain's apron for services to the Lodge.

1974-75. On the 5th October 1974 Brother Patrick Roden was installed as RWM. During his year in office 22 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 24 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. Unfortunately Brother Pat did not enjoy the best of health during his year and missed several meetings. In another successful year for the Lodge discussions continued with Lodge Douglas and The Royal Arch Lodge in the search for new Lodge premises and this was the year the children's Christmas party was started an event which is still held. Among the gifts given to the Lodge was a framed mural of The Petition' presented by the brethren of Lodge Copestone No. 147 Kearney New Jersey. Brother Colin Miller a Founder Member and the first Secretary was given a presentation by the Lodge for services rendered. The Lodge decreed that all Office Bearers would wear white shirts and black ties at all meetings and visitations. On the sporting front Brother Jack Ingram presented a trophy for annual competition by the golfers and Brother John McCartney presented a trophy for annual competition by the darts players.

1975-76. On 4th October 1975 Brother Matthew King was installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 16 Initiates and 3 Affiliates. During his successful year the first East Kilbride Reigning Masters degree was conferred an event which still takes place today. This was also the year when the Lodge was unsuccessful in acquiring the RAFA club premises as a new Masonic hall. The first Lodge Kil Bryd tie was produced and among many gifts to the Lodge was the presentation of a Past Masters Board from the RWM. of Lodge Douglas No. 1557 Brother George McDonald and a ceremonial gavel from the RWM of Thistle Lodge No. 62 Brother William Rock. Brother John McCartney a Founder Member was presented with a Past Treasurer's Apron for services rendered the Lodge. Brother Matthew went on to serve the Lodge as Secretary for a number of years.

1976-77. On the 2nd October 1976 Brother Alexander Dunbar was installed as RWM. During his year in office 24 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 31 Initiates and 5 Affiliates. This was another successful year for the Lodge and one of the highlights was Brother Alex. being made an honorary member of Thistle Lodge No. 62 only the seventh Brother to receive that honour in over two hundred years.

1977-78. On the 1st October 1977 Brother William McGillivray was installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodged welcomed into the fraternity 16 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. In another busy and successful year further attempts were made to acquire new Lodge premises however these were unsuccessful. Honorary Membership of the Lodge was bestowed on the Provincial Grand Master of Renfrewshire East Brother Andrew L.Tannahill and the Provincial Grand Secretary Brother James Sanderson. On the sporting front Brothers Robert Park and William Cuthbertson presented a golf trophy to be played for by visitors to our annual golf outing. Brother Bill went on to serve the Lodge as Secretary and Almoner for a number of years.

1978-79. On 7th October 1978 Brother George Leitch was installed as RWM. During his year in office 21 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 13 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. This was another busy and successful year for the Lodge. The four East Kilbride Lodges held a grand charity ball the proceeds of which, £650.00, were donated to the Scottish Society for the mentally handicapped.

1979-80. On 6th October 1979 Brother John Goldie was installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 21 Initiates and 3 Affiliates. This was another busy and successful year for the Lodge. The Brethren of Lodge Nitshill No. 1478 presented the Lodge with a new jewel for the RWM's chain. Brother John went on to serve the Lodge as Provincial Office Bearer and reached the office of Provincial Grand Senior Warden.

1980-81. On the 4th October 1980 Brother Robert Feelie became the first Initiate of the Lodge to be installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 18 Initiates and 1 Affiliate. In another busy year for the Lodge the Past Masters of the Lodge conferred a degree in the Lodge for the first time an event which continues to this day. The four East Kilbride Lodges donated £1,200.00 to the Hairmyres Hospital Scanner fund and Brother George Mitchell a Founder Member presented a Past Master's jewel to be given to the first Initiate RWM. Brother Bob went on to serve the Lodge as Provincial Grand Committee Member for a number of years.

1981-82. On the 3rd October 1981 Brother Robert Ross was installed as RWM. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodged welcomed into the fraternity 19 Initiates and 3 Affiliates. In another busy and successful year for the Lodge a Building Committee was formed and the Lodge submitted a planning application to East Kilbride District Council to build new Lodge premises on ground at Straitdykes, East Kilbride.

1982-83. On the 2nd October 1982 Brother George Souter was installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 10 Initiates and 1 Affiliate. The Lodge's application for new premises at Straitdykes was turned down by the District Council and an approach to another body was also unsuccessful however the Lodge opened a Building Account Fund for the purchase of new premises in the future.

1983-84. On the 1st October 1983 Brother William Stevenson was installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 15 Initiates and 3 Affiliates. This was another busy year for the Lodge. A new Lodge tie was designed by Brother Robert Feelie PM and it was agreed that the money raised from the sponsored walk for the next four years would be given to the Stewart Lochrie Memorial Fund.

1984-85. On the 6th October 1984 Brother John Stevenson was installed as RWM by his brother William. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 16 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. In another successful year the Lodge took a stall at the Calderglen Country Fair for charity, an event which continues to this day, the proceeds of which have benefited local causes. The Instruction Master Brother Matthew King presented the RWM with a bound book of the years work carried out by the Lodge Instruction Class giving the names of all the brethren who had worked on the floor. A new Lodge carpet was presented to the Lodge by the Ladies Committee. Brother John went on to serve the Lodge as Treasurer for a number of years before moving to live and work in Newcastle. He joined Gateshead Fell Lodge No. 4349 and served as Master in 1997. The Lodges now have an Annual Fraternal visit.

1985-86. On the 5th October 1985 Brother Kenneth Gaunt was installed as RWM. During his year in office 21 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 10 Initiates and 1 Affiliate. During this year the Lodge turned down the offer of purchasing a half share in Douglas Hall, offered by Lodge Douglas. The new Lodge carpet was dedicated by the Provincial Grand Substitute Master Brother Frank Johnstone. Brother Robert Ryan ex-treasurer and Brother William Ross Founder Member were presented with a decanter each for services rendered the Lodge. The RWM attended various functions run by The Grand Lodge of Scotland to celebrate its 250th anniversary and the Lodge purchased two anniversary jewels to be worn on the Wardens Sashes.

1986-87. On the 4th October 1986 Brother David Bennett was installed as RWM. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 10 Initiates. This was another busy and successful year for the Lodge.

1987-88. On the 3rd October 1987 Brother James Ross was installed as RWM by the retiring master Bro. David Bennett his proposer into freemasonry. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 13 Initiates and 1 Affiliate. This year marked the 250th year of freemasonry in East Kilbride. In another successful year for the Lodge the money raised at the Country Fair was donated to Springhill School. On the sporting front the Lodge won the Lodge St. Andrew No. 524 5-aside football tournament for the first, and to date, only time.

1988-89. On the 1st October 1988 Brother David Laverty was installed as RWM. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 12 Initiates and 5 Affiliates. Another busy year saw the Lodge raise £1,667.00 from a race night disco which was donated to Hairmyres Hospital to buy furnishings for the geriatric wards. On the sporting front the Lodge Bowlers won the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East pairs tournament for the first, and to date, only time.

1989-90. On the 7th October 1988 Brother Robert Cameron was installed as RWM. During his year in office 22 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 12 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. In another busy year the sum of £1,200.00 was raised and donated to Hairmyres Hospital geriatric unit. Brother Robert went on to serve the Lodge as Committee Member in the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East.

1990-91. On the 6th October 1990 Brother Robert Sprott was installed as RWM. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 8 Initiates. This was another busy and successful year for the Lodge during which the first Past Masters dinner was held an event that has been held every year since. Brother Robert, who had previously been Secretary, returned to serve as the Lodge as Secretary for many years.

1991-92. On the 5th October 1991 Brother John Smith was installed as RWM. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 9 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. This was another busy year for the Lodge during which £1,000.00 was raised for the training of a guide dog for the blind.

1992-93. On the 3rd October 1992 Brother Robert Cameron PM was installed as RWM becoming the first Past Master of the Lodge to go to the chair of King Solomon for the second time. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 11 Initiates. This was another busy year for the Lodge.

1993-94. On the 2nd October 1993 Brother Scott Henderson was installed as RWM by his father Brother George Henderson PM of Lodge South Western No. 1242 and his uncle Brother William Henderson PM of the Hale Lodge No. 5141 in the English Constitution. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 7 Initiates and 3 Affiliates. A harmony jewel was presented to the Lodge by the family of the late Brother Alexander Brown PM our first RWM. The Lodge made a presentation to Brother John Stevenson PM for services rendered to the Lodge. The Lodge ran a cabaret night in aid of our 25th Anniversary fund which raised £1,000.00. The RWM accompanied brethren of Lodge Douglas No. 1557 on a visit to The Black Bear Lodge in Germany on the occasion of their 220th Anniversary.

1994-95. On the 1st October 1994 Brother William Sime was installed as RWM. During his year in office 19 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 8 Initiates. A highlight of another busy year was the visitation to Norma Lodge No. 5902 in the English Constitution where brethren of the Lodge conferred an exemplification MM degree. Brother William presented a small gavel to our Lodge to be used at the harmony boards.

1995-96. On the 7th October 1995 Brother John Smith PM was installed as RWM for the second time. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 6 Initiates and 2 Affiliates. This was the year the Lodge voted to accept the offer from Lodge Douglas No. 1557 and moved to their hall with a view to becoming part owners in the future. So the Lodge left the Masonic Hall, Kittoch Street after 24 years having partly achieved what we always wanted, a hall of our own. The last regular meeting was held in Kittoch Street on Thursday 16th May 1996 and the first meeting in Douglas Hall was held on Thursday 5th September 1996 when Lodge Douglas No. 1557 conferred the MMM degree.

1996-97. On the 5th October 1996 Brother Craig Monk was installed as RWM. During his year in office 20 meetings were held and the Lodge welcomed into the fraternity 6 Initiates and 1 Affiliate. Highlights of another successful year were the visitation by members of the Lodge to Gateshead Fell Lodge No. 4349 in the English Constitution where we carried out an exemplification MM degree and the visit to our Lodge by members of Norma Lodge No. 5902 in the English Constitution who carried out an exemplification EA degree.

Special thanks to Bro. Robert M. Sprott PM. for the compilation of the first 25 years history.